Launched in July 2014, EmployMentor is an initiative Microsoft implemented in Kenya in partnership with ACWICT.
It is estimated that 750,000 young people enter the workplace annually yet only 15% get absorbed into formal employment leaving the rest of the youth cohorts (85%) to take up informal work and/or face the brunt of poverty. The high unemployment rate is attributed to low absorptive capacity of the economy, weak implementation and coordination of youth targeted employment interventions; lack of skills relevant to the workplace by the young people; lack of information on available job opportunities; lack of networks and connections among youth; lack of experience and credentials that address employers’ risk in making hiring commitments and lack of available jobs suited to entry-level skills. At ACWICT we believe that access to productive employment or income generating opportunities is the surest way for one to improve one’s economic and social standing. ACWICT’s Youth Empowerment Programme (YEP) is geared towards unlocking the potential of youth for social and economic advancement. The program targets high potential but disadvantaged young people who are at their transition point from high school/vocational training/tertiary education to the world of work. This is achieved through providing with technical skills, life skill for day to day life and the world of work, entrepreneurship coupled with on-the-job skills and job placements support.
Employ Mentor Hackathon at Kenyatta University
From The Blog
Uniserv Education has partnered with ACWICT as an employer partner. Through the partnership, 20 disadvantaged young women have been offered employment