Implemented in partnership with the International Youth Foundation (IYF), IGNITE Kenya project seeks to support 6,000 marginalized girls aged 15-19 years from Machakos and Trans Nzoia Counties to complete their secondary education and transition into the world of work and/or pursue further education and improve their life chances. This will be achieved through equipping them with life skills and career guidance that will minimize the risks they face in education, sensitization and capacity building of community in view of addressing barriers to girl child education, creation of clubs at school level, organizing annual symposiums and linking them to comprehensive online learning tools provided on the Microsoft’s youth employability and entrepreneurial portal (TukoWorks). Life skills training will be delivered through IYF’s PassPort to Success Curriculum. The ACWICT career source book developed for the program will educate secondary school students and school leavers on career courses currently being offered in diverse higher institutions of learning and vocational training centers; advice on career choice options and admission requirements; offer professional counseling on successful and potential career development; impart the participants with social education and life skills necessary to succeed in education; and to provide linkages between secondary school /tertiary education and industrial sectors.
- 6,000 marginalized girls aged between 15-19 years from Machakos and Tran Nzoia Counties recruited into the program and trained/supported960 selected from the 6,000 girls participating in the program are trained as peer educators and reach out to 9,600 non-marginalized boys and girls
- 240 teachers trained as trainers on IYF’s passport to success curriculum, digital literacy/ICT integration and career counselling using ACWICT’s training curriculum.
- 60 schools 30 from each in the two counties) selected to participate in the program
- 240 IGNITE clubs established
- 60 Mentors identified to provide in-school mentorship for the marginalized girls
- A career source book published for use by secondary schools in Kenya