Reaching the Unreached
The training was delivered through Community Technology Learning Centres (CTLCs) established in Kisumu, Eldoret, Isiolo, Busia, Nairobi and Suba Districts. The CTLCs also provideaccess to ICT infrastructure and services for the program beneficiaries and promotes regional technology literacy. The ICT training was delivered using Microsoft Official Academic Curriculum (Unlimited Potential) which comprises basic computer skills, spreadsheets, Internet, digital media, web design, word processing, presentation and database management.
The program trained 1900 women and impacted 9500 indirect beneficiaries. After training, the women entrepreneurs were linked to government-sponsored Women and Youth Enterprise Funds that were geared towards boosting the capital base of enterprising women and youth.There already exists partnerships opportunities with Micro Finance Institutions like K-rep Bank with a view of connecting beneficiaries to financial resources.
In addition, the women were assisted by linking them to other resources and opportunities such as information on business start-up ingredients, expansion into newer markets and job opportunities, legal information and access to mentors The women with entrepreneurial skills will be helped to develop business concepts that will translate into concrete business plans that were viable for financing.Other skills will include legal aspects of business creation, record keeping in small businesses, principles of self employment,and negotiation and communication skills among others.
Reaching the Unreached had unprecedented impact including:
- Enhanced skills for 1900 women equipped with ICT,Entrepreneurship and Life Skills.
- Improved employability prospects for 1900 women in the informal settlements in Nairobi and Eldoret.
- Improved household income for 9500 indirect beneficiaries
- Placement of up to 70% of those trained in gainful employment.
- Creation sustainable wealth.
- Empowering women entrepreneurs to expand into new markets.
- Broadening digital inclusion.