ACWICT is implementing CCK’s Rural ICT Project in Eldama-Ravine, Koibatek District in partnership with Sabatia Farmers Cooperative Society Limited. The project is now in its second phase.
The overall objective of the project is to promote connectivity, access, capacity building and local content creation. This will lead to the emergence of a network of knowledgeable communities.
Specific Project Objectives:
- To demonstrate the feasibility of, and to gain experience with, the operations of community access points as a modality to provide telephone and internet connectivity to underserved communities in rural areas of Kenya;
- To evaluate the extent to which tele-centres actually help to empower members of the community, create employment and improve livelihoods, engender or enhance participatory activities and promote national as well as international networking.
- To make the ICT services accessible to the communities and to develop awareness of these resources.
- To act as model centres to encourage similar local initiatives in the future.
- To support distance learning.